Great drone video by Bob Robertson
Drone Video of the West Lebanon Train Roundhouse and more great train stuff around the area
The White River Junction and West Lebanon area saw a lot of train action in the past. Just behind the Lebanon Feed and Seed store there is an area which contains the ruins of an old roundhouse which unfortunately was abandoned and nearly completely destroyed by fire from wayward teenagers.
“The site served as a rail yard from 1847 until the 1970s. It was then vacant until the state of New Hampshire purchased the 19.1-acre property from Boston and Maine Railroad Company and “restored rail service in 2000 under an operating agreement with Claremont Concord Rail Company.”2 The northern acre, the parcel being considered for cleanup and revitalization, was first developed during the mid 1930s and early 1940s to be used as a bulk oil storage facility for Tidewater Oil Company, who leased the land from Boston and Maine Railroad Company. Concrete above ground storage tanks (ASTs), which were removed from the site in the 1970s, contained an unknown amount of an unknown oil type. Tidewater Oil Company shut down in the 1960s. Over the next 25 years, the New Hampshire Department of Transportation (NHDOT) removed all remaining concrete ASTs and off-site buildings before using it as a temporary roadwork equipment storage area.” https://preservationinpink.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/abandoned-new-hampshire-westboro-rail-yard/
Across the river in White River Junction you can still take scenic train rides via the Green Mountain tourist train as well as regular AMTRAK passenger service.
The White River Flyer is an excursion that runs along the scenic Connecticut River from White River Junction, VT to East Thetford, VT and back for a total trip duration of 2 hours, leaving WRJ at 12 and 2. Powering the train is Green Mountain Railway Company ALCO RS-1 405, which was built for the Rutland RR in November of 1951, making this locomotive 60 years old at the time of capture. Despite the dreary weather, there are a decent amount of fall colors along the trip on this Saturday afternoon, October 6, 2012. Because of the fall colors, the train has a lengthy consist of 6 cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_sIfDnF7o
Further up the Connecticut River on the Vermont side along Route 5 to Barnet, Vermont is the The Passumpsic Railroad is located in Barnet, Vermont. The railroad has the only operable steam locomotive in Vermont. Their steam engine is a two-truck Heisler that ran on the Phoenix marble railroad. The Passumpsic Railroad is owned by Marvin Kendall and is located along route 5 south of St. Johnsbury.
The Connecticut and Passumpsic Rivers Railroad Company was first chartered in 1835, rechartered in 1843 and organized in Wells River in 1846. The plan was to build from the junction of the White River to the Canadian border and a connection to Montreal. The first tracks were laid in Norwich in July, 1848. Officers included president Erastus Fairbanks of St. Johnsbury, vice president Asa Low of Bradford and directors Henry Keyes of Newbury and later Joseph Sawyer of Piermont. http://larrycoffin.blogspot.com/2009/03/1848-arrival-of-railroad.html
More Fine Art Train Photography by Edward M. Fielding