Iceland: N1 Your Oasis on the Road

Last chance for gas

N1 is a chain of gas stations all across Iceland.  They become your oasis while on the Ring Road circling Iceland.  Each station varies with their offerings which usually include fuel, bathrooms, snacks, drinks and even hot food.

Some even have washing stations, gas canister exchanges, dump stations and even gift shops and buffets.  The smallest ones have no attendant at all.  Just a credit card activated .   One of the largest ones we found in Borgarnes, a cross roads town for people heading to The Snaefellsnes Pennisula or Myvatn area, had a self service buffet, huge bathrooms, candy shop, gift shop, coffee bar and even Icelandic sweaters and art maps.

Another N1 we found in the Blonduos region had a small convenience store plus a cool playground for the kids to let off some steam and a fine washing station to remove bugs from the windshield.

We had our first Icelandic hot dog at an N1 in Selfoss.  They had the option of onions (raw chopped) or crunchy (fried) or both.

The pumps can be tricky.  You have to put in your credit card and put in an estimate for an authorization.  Then push it in a second time for the receipt.

Some stations out in the boonies don’t open until 10 am so you aren’t going to get your morning coffee there but at least the pumps still work with a credit card.

N1 operates 95 stations around Iceland. According to their company website: N1 is a leading Icelandic retail and service company. Our goal is to provide companies and people on the go with fuel, supplies, refreshments and recreation through a dynamic distribution system, targeted product range and exceptional service.

Where are all the trucks?

One thing I noticed driving around Iceland is the lack of trucks.  I wonder how the out of the way places get their stuff.  Lots of buses, motor-homes, rental cars, giant campers, etc but not many trucks on the roads (thank goodness).

Potters Place Andover New Hampshire

Location Scout: Potters Place

Potters Place in Andover, New Hampshire is a unique opportunity to set back in time and create some great photographs.

The area consists of several preserved buildings including a train station, general store, freight building, a garden, small cemetery as well as an old metal box car and bright red caboose.  More train related photographs and artwork.

Sell Art Online

Potters Place is a  village named for Richard Potter, an early 19th century magician, hypnotist and ventriloquist.  Richard Potter (1783–1835)  was the first American-born magician to gain fame in his own country and was African-American.

The Potters Place village contains the homestead and grave site of Richard Potter.

Here is a description of one of Mr. Potter’s curious acts back in the day:

Another of Potter’s “curious” ads, this one for a show at the Boston Columbian Museum in 1818, is cited by Haskins and Benson:

Mr. Potter will perform the part of the anti-combustible Man Salamander [a mythical combination of human and reptile] and will pass a red hot bar of iron over his tongue, draw it through his hands repeatedly, and afterwards bend it into various shapes with his naked feet, as a smith would on an anvil. He will also immerse his hands and feet in molten lead, and pass his naked feet and arms over a large body of fire. He will also perform a variety of pleasing magical deceptions; which, to give a minute detail of, would fill a volume. The performer, not being willing to anticipate the pleasure the audience may receive from his performance, flatters himself that he is so well known in different parts of this country, as not to require the aid of a pompous advertisement. In addition to his magical and ventriloquial talents, he will introduce a number of songs and recitations.

Photography Prints

New Hampshire Art Prints

 

The Potter Place railroad station, built in 1874, houses a significant portion of the Society’s historical collection. This station is an extremely well-preserved example of Victorian station design and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located on the Northern Railroad (later the Boston & Maine Railroad) line that ran from Boston to White River Junction in Vermont, and on to Montreal. This station preserves intact the station master’s office, and recreates the feeling of a busy railroad depot of the early to mid 20th century.

The homestead site and grave of Richard Potter and his wife are located immediately across the tracks from the station.

A well-preserved caboose, the Central Vermont CV-4030, built in the early 1900s, is located beside the station and is open for visitors.

Adjacent to the station is the Potter Place freight house and a Boston & Maine railroad box car. The freight house, built in the early 1900’s retains almost all of its original features and appearance. It was served by a still-existing spur from the main-line railroad.

Across the main street from the station is located the J. C. Emons Store and Potter Place Post Office, dating from 1912. The store continued to serve the village until 1958. The post office functioned until 1988. The Society has restored it as an exhibit of a typical turn-of-the-century village store. The original tin ceiling has been rebuilt, and display cabinets and other store fixtures have been put in place. The Post Office area contains the original mail boxes and sorting table.

Travel Photography Prints

Potter Place Railroad Station is a historic railroad station on Depot Street in Andover, New Hampshire. It was built in 1874 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Train Art Online

Potters Place Photography Prints

In his classic study The Colored Patriots of the American Revolution (1855), Boston-based black historian William Cooper Nell profiled this Richard Potter, emphasizing his landed virtues at a time when many in the white community still thought the only solution to the free black ”problem” was colonization. Nell wrote:

On the Northern New Hampshire Railroad, some thirty miles from Concord, in the town of Andover, is a station called Potter’s Place. This little village derives its name from RICHARD POTTER, the celebrated Ventriloquist and Professor of Legerdemain. Within twenty rods of the track stands a neat white, one-story building, with two projecting wings, all of Grecian architecture. From this extends, south-westerly, a fine expanse of level meadow. This house, and the adjacent two hundred acres, were owned by RICHARD POTTER. . . . This Potter owned in fee simple, unincumbered, the fruits of his successful illusions, optical and auricular.

Potter was a colored man, half-way between fair and black. He for a long time monopolized the market for such wares as sleight of hand, and ‘laborious speaking from the stomach…’ 

… Potter was temperate, steady, attentive to his business, and his business was his delight. He took as much pleasure in pleasing others, as others did in being pleased. I have never heard a lisp against his character for honesty and fair dealing. He was once the victim of persecution from a Mr. Fitch, who had him arrested as a juggler. Potter plead his own case, and secured an equittal.

travel Art Online

Time Watch Art Prints

MORE PHOTOGRAPHS FROM POTTERS PLACE, ANDOVER,NEW HAMPSHIRE

More info about Richard Potter and Potters Place:

http://www.andoverhistory.org/

http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2015/03/the_1st_successful_american_born_magician_was_a_black_man/

https://scottishrite.org/about/media-publications/journal/article/bro-richard-potter-the-great-magician/
 

West Lebanon Roundhouse Abandoned Treasure


Great drone video by Bob Robertson

Drone Video of the West Lebanon Train Roundhouse and more great train stuff around the area

The White River Junction and West Lebanon area saw a lot of train action in the past. Just behind the Lebanon Feed and Seed store there is an area which contains the ruins of an old roundhouse which unfortunately was abandoned and nearly completely destroyed by fire from wayward teenagers.

“The site served as a rail yard from 1847 until the 1970s. It was then vacant until the state of New Hampshire purchased the 19.1-acre property from Boston and Maine Railroad Company and “restored rail service in 2000 under an operating agreement with Claremont Concord Rail Company.”2 The northern acre, the parcel being considered for cleanup and revitalization, was first developed during the mid 1930s and early 1940s to be used as a bulk oil storage facility for Tidewater Oil Company, who leased the land from Boston and Maine Railroad Company. Concrete above ground storage tanks (ASTs), which were removed from the site in the 1970s, contained an unknown amount of an unknown oil type. Tidewater Oil Company shut down in the 1960s. Over the next 25 years, the New Hampshire Department of Transportation (NHDOT) removed all remaining concrete ASTs and off-site buildings before using it as a temporary roadwork equipment storage area.” https://preservationinpink.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/abandoned-new-hampshire-westboro-rail-yard/

Across the river in White River Junction you can still take scenic train rides via the Green Mountain tourist train as well as regular AMTRAK passenger service.

The White River Flyer is an excursion that runs along the scenic Connecticut River from White River Junction, VT to East Thetford, VT and back for a total trip duration of 2 hours, leaving WRJ at 12 and 2. Powering the train is Green Mountain Railway Company ALCO RS-1 405, which was built for the Rutland RR in November of 1951, making this locomotive 60 years old at the time of capture. Despite the dreary weather, there are a decent amount of fall colors along the trip on this Saturday afternoon, October 6, 2012. Because of the fall colors, the train has a lengthy consist of 6 cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_sIfDnF7o

Further up the Connecticut River on the Vermont side along Route 5 to Barnet, Vermont is the The Passumpsic Railroad is located in Barnet, Vermont. The railroad has the only operable steam locomotive in Vermont. Their steam engine is a two-truck Heisler that ran on the Phoenix marble railroad. The Passumpsic Railroad is owned by Marvin Kendall and is located along route 5 south of St. Johnsbury.
Art Prints

The Connecticut and Passumpsic Rivers Railroad Company was first chartered in 1835, rechartered in 1843 and organized in Wells River in 1846. The plan was to build from the junction of the White River to the Canadian border and a connection to Montreal. The first tracks were laid in Norwich in July, 1848. Officers included president Erastus Fairbanks of St. Johnsbury, vice president Asa Low of Bradford and directors Henry Keyes of Newbury and later Joseph Sawyer of Piermont. http://larrycoffin.blogspot.com/2009/03/1848-arrival-of-railroad.html

Art Prints

More Fine Art Train Photography by Edward M. Fielding

Photography Prints

Photography Prints

Photography Prints

Sell Art Online

Photography Prints

SEE MORE GREAT TRAIN PHOTOGRAPHY

 

New York City Subway Posters

I’ve just added a collection of graphic, typography style posters influenced by vintage New York City subway signs. Classic, famous NYC subway stops overlayed with images from New York City or vintage maps of Manhattan.

This artwork was initially intended for a line of phone cases on Casetify as part of the Dogford Studios Collection

One of the NYC Subway station designs as part of the Dogford Studios collection on #Casetify.

 

Another version of the popular NYC subway station design from Dogford Studios on Casetify.

 

These vintage looking NYC subways station designs are also available as posters, tote bags, canvas and framed and matted artwork.  You can even order them printed and rolled in a tube for framing locally.
NYC New York City Manhattan Photography Prints

NYC New York City Manhattan Photography Prints

NYC New York City Manhattan Photography Prints

NYC New York City Manhattan Sell Art Online

NYC New York City Manhattan Photography Prints

Vintage subway stations signs in New York City – design by Edward M. Fielding – www.edwardfielding.com
….
Intended for a cool phone case, this image looks great as wall art and on products.

List of classic subway stops including:
Central Park, Harlem, Greenwich Village, Upper East Side, Tribeca, Hell’s Kitchen, Midtown,Meat Packing, district,Battery Park, Soho, times, square, Chinatown
Background – The Brooklyn Bridge, Flat Iron Building, chalkboard or vintage map of Manhattan.

Did you know?

The first underground line of the New York City Subway opened on October 27, 1904, almost 35 years after the opening of the first elevated line in New York City, which became the IRT Ninth Avenue Line. By the time the first subway opened, the lines had been consolidated into two privately owned systems, the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company (BRT, later Brooklyn–Manhattan Transit Corporation, BMT) and the Interborough Rapid Transit Company (IRT).