This summer I had a great opportunity to photograph one of my favorite places on the planet, Prince Edward Island with bonus of having a car full of “willing” models – friends and family.
Remembering the rather consistent coastal breezes on the island from previous trips to Prince Edward Island, I did a bit of pre-planning and brought along some shear fabric as a prop from my model. Add the perfect location, in front of a beautifully restored and freshly painted lighthouse at New London beach and all of the elements came together to create “I’ll Fly Away”. The final image is a digitally enhanced photograph that brings about a painting like result.
A bit of history about this lighthouse which is officially called “New London Back Range” and is snugged into the dunes around the French River and an area known as Yankee Hill.
When Prince Edward Island joined Confederation in 1873 there was an evaluation of all Island lights. The Superintendents of lighthouses deemed a replacement of the two small lanterns raised on day beacons which guided ships into New London Bay.
Built in 1876, the New London Back Range was originally an independent light but became the Back Range when a new front light was built in 1879, approximately 300 m (1000ft.) seaward at the narrow entrance to New London Bay
In 1876, George McKenzie of French River constructed the New London Lighthouse for $1,300. Upon completion, he stayed on as lighthouse keeper for twenty years.
Prince Edward Island has no shortage of lighthouses. If you are a “Lighthouse Lover,” you’ve come to the right place. Lighthouses of many shapes and sizes dot the coastline of Prince Edward Island.
You can enjoy some of the best views of the beautiful island by visiting the lighthouses. Touring the lighthouse sites promise views of some of the island’s most scenic vistas.
How many lighthouses are on Prince Edward Island?
The PEI Lighthouse Society lists 63 lighthouses on the island.
1. NORTH CAPE LIGHTHOUSE
2. TIGNISH RUN LIGHTHOUSE/BIG TIGNISH/JUDE’S POINT
3. FORMER MIMINIGASH RANGE LIGHT
4. FORMER NORTHPORT BACK RANGE LIGHT
5. FORMER CASCUMPEC LIGHTHOUSE
6. NORTHPORT BACK RANGE LIGHT
7. FORMER HARDY’S CHANNEL/LITTLE CHANNEL LIGHTHOUSE
8. MALPEQUE HARBOUR APPROACH LIGHT
9. FORMER FISH ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE
10. MALPEQUE OUTER BACK RANGE LIGHT
11. MALPEQUE OUTER FRONT RANGE LIGHT
12. FORMER CAPE TRYON
13. CAPE TRYON LIGHTHOUSE
14. NEW LONDON LIGHTHOUSE/ NEW LONDON BACK RANGE LIGHT
15. NORTH RUSTICO HARBOUR LIGHTHOUSE
16. COVEHEAD HARBOUR LIGHTHOUSE
17. ST. PETER’S HARBOUR LIGHTHOUSE
18. SHIPWRECK POINT LIGHTHOUSE/NAUFRAGE LIGHTHOUSE
19. FORMER SHIPWRECK POINT LIGHTHOUSE
20. EAST POINT LIGHTHOUSE
21. SOURIS EAST LIGHTHOUSE
22. FORMER ANNANDALE FRONT RANGE LIGHT
23. ANNANDALE BACK RANGE LIGHT
24. ANNANDALE FRONT RANGE LIGHT
25. FORMER CARDIGAN RIVER RANGE LIGHT
26. GEORGETOWN BACK RANGE LIGHT
27. FORMER GEORGETOWN FRONT RANGE LIGHT
28. GEORGETOWN FRONT RANGE LIGHT
29. PANMURE HEAD LIGHTHOUSE OR PANMURE ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE
30. DOUSE POINT FRONT RANGE LIGHT
31. DOUSE POINT BACK RANGE LIGHT
32. MURRAY HARBOUR BACK RANGE LIGHT/BEACH POINT BACK RANGE LIGHT
33. MURRAY HARBOUR FRONT RANGE LIGHT/BEACH POINT FRONT RANGE LIGHT
34. CAPE BEAR LIGHTHOUSE
35. WOOD ISLANDS LIGHTHOUSE
36. WOOD ISLANDS BACK RANGE LIGHT
37. WOOD ISLANDS FRONT RANGE LIGHT
38. POINT PRIM LIGHTHOUSE
39. BRUSH WHARF FRONT RANGE
40. HASZARD POINT FRONT RANGE
41. HASZARD POINT BACK RANGE LIGHT
42. BRIGHTON BEACH FRONT RANGE
43. BRIGHTON BEACH BACK RANGE LIGHT
44. WARREN COVE BACK RANGE LIGHT
45. WARREN COVE FRONT RANGE LIGHT
46. BLOCKHOUSE POINT LIGHTHOUSE
47. ST. PETER’S ISLAND LIGHT
48. LEARD’S BACK RANGE LIGHT
49. LEARD’S FRONT RANGE LIGHT/PALMER’S BACK RANGE LIGHT
50. WRIGHT’S BACK RANGE LIGHT
51. WRIGHT’S FRONT RANGE LIGHT
52. PORT BORDEN FRONT RANGE LIGHT
53. PORT BORDEN BACK RANGE LIGHT
54. PORT BORDEN PIER LIGHT
55. SEACOW HEAD LIGHTHOUSE
56. FORMER SUMMERSIDE FRONT RANGE LIGHT
57. INDIAN HEAD LIGHTHOUSE
58. SUMMERSIDE BACK RANGE LIGHT
59. SUMMERSIDE OUTER FRONT RANGE LIGHT
60. SUMMERSIDE OUTER BACK RANGE LIGHT
61. CAPE EGMONT LIGHTHOUSE
62. WEST POINT LIGHTHOUSE
63. HOWARD’S COVE/SEAL POINT LIGHTHOUSE